Tuesday, June 23, 2009

4th surgery down.

Jack did great during surgery and Dr. Kouretas really did a number on him. In addition to the coils they put in yesterday to close off the vessels that Jack's body decided to grow itself... Jack now has a whole bunch of little clamps in his lymphatic system that make his x-ray look like he has shrapnel inside his chest. All of these new additions to his innards are permanent, and we are hoping- is the answer to stop this pesky chylothorax.
Jack was in surgery for about 2.5 hours and went to the PICU extubated. He is on 1 litre of O2, mainly because all the trauma done to his chest walls and the incision in his side keep him from taking a full breath. He certainly is in pain. It is very obvious. However, he still has a sense of humor and is currently watching Wall-E and you'll hear him say "EEEE VVVAAAA" every now and then.

He is on morphine for the pain, and benedryl for the morphine (it makes him itch) and he has a large chest tube that is draining the fluid from surgery, and he has a tiny cath that is putting medication into the chest wall beween the chest and the lung, that will make it stick together and prevent a cavity for fluid to build up in.

As our doctor's tend to do- Kouretas is leaving town tomorrow, but as he said- he's done everything on his side, and now it's the nurses and doc's that need to get him well enough to go home. He will spend tonight in the PICU, Josh and I will go home to sleep. Then tomorrow we should move back up to CSU.

As I watch him push through this and listen to him ask for juice, ask for me to wipe of his cannula in his nose, and tell me his diaper itches, I am so proud of my little boy for tolerating this whole part of his life so he can have a better one. There is something about his demeanor that really makes me believe he is stronger than most 3 and a half year olds, and that only Jack Trent could fight this battle. He inspires me. I can't even comprehend how he is feeling right now, yet he is sitting up in his bed telling the nurses to watch Wall-E fly up into space.

I love that kid.

7 comments:

leandparkermakes3 said...

Lisa,

We love you and can't believe all that you have been through in the last few months! I'm so glad the surgery went well. We are thinking about you and I would love to bring dinner again when you guys get home. Hang in there. I hope you can get some rest! Tell Jack we are so proud of him!

Mindi said...

You make me cry. Yes, he is a remarkable boy with a remarkable momma. Even his name--Jack Trent--has that super hero ring to it.

We're sending all our best juju your way.

Mindi

Leslie said...

it's amazing what his little body has put up with this far. i would have given up long ago. what a rock star. i'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. i can't wait to help him out with his wish when he's feeling better!

Laura Lee said...

He is a big champ that kid. Remember when he couldn't even stand to have the oxygen tube in his nose? It's amazing to me how adaptable kids are and how quickly their bodies bounce back.

Liz said...

He needs to give Isaac a lesson in pain tolerance. Every time he falls down it is the end of the world. I am glad the surgery went well, I hope you got some sleep. I will call you on Friday when we get there.

Allison said...

Yes, Jack is one amazing little boy to go through as much as he has and still keep his humor. He is truly a hero. I am so glad that things went well. Hope you get back to the floor today and that you make a quick recovery home! Order lots of room service today and get a slushie for me! Miss you guys. It is too bad Jack's body couldn't have held out another month so you could be doing his 4th heart surgery when we are doing Grant's 2nd heart surgery. It would have been nice to have the company! Feel better Jack!

Jergs Family said...

Wow! That's all I can say. Jack is so blessed to have you as a mom - you are so dedicated and devoted to him. I am amazed and inspired by you! We are thinking of you too, and would also love to bring dinner when you come home for good! Let me know and I'll try to call you in the next couple of days. Love to you all.
Monica