Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Moments that have Improved Motherhood.


Big brother's don't have to be human.









Even the messiest messes can be cute. Most messes Jack makes are result of curiosity or creativity. I embrace his passion for art, his desire to draw stars all over the walls, his need to put stickers on everything to make them "look better" and his wonderful ability to recreate something he has seen on paper.



Christmas can be just as much fun as it was when I was little. Being able to see the excitement and feel like a kid again is one of my FAVORITE parts of being a Mother. I love showing Jack all the things I used to do as a kid, build huts, draw hopscotches with chalk, make banana splits, and sleep in the bath tub..




Jack has always been a great impersonator. I love being able to watch first hand as he tries to be "like mom" or be "like dad."
Terribly adorable.






I love the feeling of being a "proud parent" and when my little boy makes me proud, I feel most like a Mother.






Sometimes I am the Mother of two.. but it is wonderful to have someone that can be the kid that Jack needs to play with. This happens a lot, which means my motherly duties are many, but it is more than worth it for my two boys.




I'm the luckiest Mother in the world to have such a great road tripper. Jack will go on 6-7 hour car rides and it will almost be as fun as the trip itself. When I was young I was stuck in between my brother and sister in the backseat for hours and hours. I probably put up more of a stink than I should have. But it makes me all the more grateful to have a boy that loves to road trip to Vegas. Many, many times.






My motherhood was raw during these times, times when I would sit by and let people poke my boy with needles, inject tubes in between his ribs, and send him off with strangers dressed in scrubs to open him up and put him on bypass. No Mother should have to give that kiss goodbye, but those moments helped make me the greatest Mother I could possibly be.



All Mother's learn the lesson that unapproved haircuts are inevitable. It usually happens more than once, making you feel like you've messed up twice. But really- it's ok. Especially when you have a boy :)




I learned early on that sleeping by my mom made me feel safer. Although I like my sleep, my space and my quiet, I'll help provide Jack that same feeling of safety and comfort whenever I can. Some of the best moments of Motherhood are watching my baby sleep, safe and sound in his bed.




The greatest lesson of all- it's ok to have my 5 year old son be my best friend. We spend all day, and sometimes all night together, we tell each other everything and we share in each other's sorrows and silliness. Whatever will I do when he doesn't need me as much?

I'll savour these Mother's Day's and enjoy every moment.

3 comments:

Allison said...

This is beautiful. You are an fantastic mother and that is evident by the absolutely wonderful little boy you have!

Kell's Belles said...

I love these! You are mommy to such a sweet and funny boy. I'm so glad you both have each other!!!

kimberlee shaffer said...

you are a WONDERFUL mother and you have the cutest little boy in the world!