Saturday, May 15, 2010

365 days later...

I knew that this time last year was a really hard time for our family, but as it all blended together to one horrible, nightmarish summer- I wanted to see exactly what was going on this time last year. When I read it (here), I remembered the feelings of helplessness I had, the absolute unknown of when Jack would be himself again, the extreme concern of his dangerous weight loss, the long nights of staring at his silhouette in his hospital bed backlit by monitors and vital signs I'd wake up to check every 10 minutes.



It is incredible what human beings can through, physically and emotionally.

I look at my four and a half year old boy, who has conquered all of the "percentages" we were faced with with each open heart surgery- and then two more surgeries, and I feel more blessed and lucky to have him than ever.


I am so proud of you Jack. I would do it all over again.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Wow. I was just thinking that the other day. Grant was finally discharged on May 17th, two days from now. What a hard time we were all having last year. Yesterday, after a really awesome normal day, I couldn't believe how great life feels now, one year later. I am so glad to see Jack in such a great place.

Summer also knows as the krazy cake lady said...

Life is so crazy like that! I can not believe the strength of these amazing kids, I feel so blessed to be a mother of such a fighter! It's great Jack is doing so well now, what a blessing. I know these tough times makes me so grateful for all the normal kinda uneventful moments.

Anonymous said...

Amazing progress over a year. So grateful for Jack and so inspired by the example you set to all of us in similar circumstances.

Mindi said...

Jack is one of our true heroes. We followed your journey with the best of stalker-like intentions last summer. The ups. The downs. We could not believe the drama. But heading into "our summer" now, I feel more prepared to handle whatever unknowns are ahead because of Jack. Because of who he is and was. Thank you for sharing and coaching and being really real.
xo,

Mindi and McKay