Friday, October 2, 2009

October: Halloween

Though it was still August when the grocery stores broke out their Halloween candy, (what kid wants to trick-or-treat for candy bought 2 months in advance?) I try my best to not give in to the premature celebration of Halloween. I like to really savour the fall moments appropriately and usually wait till October to start any kind of decorating, craft making, or baking.

This year I cheated a bit. I must confess, it was September 30th when I broke out ALL THREE of those things. We made these adorable glitter pumpkins that I will in turn use to decorate with, all the while baking pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I failed. However I'm quite pleased with the outcome.


On the same note, I vow to not start anything Christmas till November. (Not December? Well somehow each year December FLIES by, due to crazy busyness from parties, get togethers, christmas shopping and snow, so yes, I start in November.) I love October. It's the legitimate time of Autumn, where not only does the calendar says so, but the weather makes blatant declarations as well.

Happy Autumn, may all your homes smell of freshly turned on furnaces and spicy baked goods.

7 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I LOVE the glitter pumpkins!! How did you make them??

Isn't October fantastic?!!

Melissa said...

Ditto! I want details! They looks so fun!

Liz said...

I must admit I broke out the decor mid Sept. but didn't put up Halloween spooky stuff up until now, just "Fall" decor. Love the pumpkins, my friends and I are going to do some. I bought some fall spice scented pine cones, not to be confused with the cinnamon scented ones, and they sit by my chair that overlooks my tree filled courtyard. I am making an apple crisp and possibly a pumpkin crumb cake tonight. I too love fall!

Sue Sharp said...

I love fall and spring. They both smell really wonderful. Do winter and summer have smells?

John and Suzi said...

Autumn is my very favorite season...I love the cool, crisp weather, the coloful leaves on the mountains outside my window, and...sweaters! I love sweaters! Please let me know the secret to your glitter pumpkins...I love them. Did you come and get grapes from our arbor? I hope so....

John and Suzi said...

Oh I an so sad ...my first attempt didn't work...so here we go again...I also love your glitter pumpkins...and I also love autumn...for many reasons, but mainly because it is finally sweater weather..and I love sweaters...and colorful mountains outside my window...and cool, crisp air in the mornings...and picking tomatoes out of the garden...and plums...and butternut squash...and grapes...

Liz said...

I just bought the Martha glitter, now I have to decide if this is going to be a just mommy project or if I am willing to let the kids help.