Sunday, February 8, 2009

America is stupid.

Contradictory to what my title says, I don't think our country is stupid, it is the Americans that I believe are lacking in education. Last night I watched Boston Legal where a young girl traveled abroad to England for a year of school, and when she returned she was appalled at how pathetic America's education system is and how she is feeling cheated by the lack of skilled educators and the public schools low standards of achievement.

On the show, she stated that 69% of the US students couldn't point England out on a map, let alone identify the names of each state in their OWN country.

So I got online and printed this map:




I gave one to Josh, and kept one for myself. We each took a crack at identifying all 50 (yes, not the 51 we have now) states and let me just say, I feel like a idiot. Honestly, there was one state that I didn't even know existed, not by name but by shape. Lucky for me, I know all fifty states by name, and can tell you them in alphabetical order due to the obnoxious song they taught us in grade school. But really, I am so glad to know that, because it feels good to say I can name them all. However, I haven't the slightest clue where they are. Minnesota? Indiana? Seriously if you asked me an hour ago....I wouldn't have a clue. Luckily, Josh and I are going to study a country each week. We are going to be able to locate it on a globe, tell you what is around it, and perhaps even the capital. We don't want Jack to be sitting doing his homework, and say "Mom? What state is Washington DC in?" and sit there like- "Holy crap, I don't know."

Cause soon he'll be in international geography and we'll look like imbecile's.

So I challenge you, and whoever else you what to do this with, to print this map (USA, with Hawaii and Alaska) and see how many of our states you can locate.

(It just occured to me that I may be a total moron, and everyone who reads this will know all the states..but I still think America needs to be smarter, and I hope everyone feels the same way. Especially for our kids)

If you want some help- you can use this check list:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusettes
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virgina
Wisconsin
Wyoming

(yes, I sung the song in my head, and did it by memory.)

7 comments:

Laura Lee said...

I always get a little messed up east of Tennessee.

Cameron's Corner said...

It reminds me of that Friends episode when Ross takes the challenge and can't do it. Joey looks over his work and says "Utah?... Ross, you can't just make stuff up."

I think NOT knowing every state by name, along with the capitals are what make this nation great. We're pretentious, egotistical and arrogant. Welcome to America!

Liz said...

I think it does help when your kids go to school, plus when you have family that live all across the country it's nice to pull out that map and show your kids really how far away grandma is and we can't just jump in the car and go see her. We have a map puzzle that the kids love to dump out so I have become very familiar with the 50 but I still have a hard time with all those little ones up around New York.

Now when it comes to the world map, back in 9th grade I rocked it! But now that there are so many changes I would really struggle. Maybe another test?

Oh and very football player cookie in our house is probably going to be a cougar, what do you expect?

Ilene said...

Does anyone really care about the states East of the Mississippi?

Of course the people East of the Mississippi are saying the same thing about states West of the Mississippi.

Wow, that is a lot of Mississippi.

I wonder if people from other countries could correctly name their own country's states (or whatever the term is that they use).

Tasha said...

Lisa,
I felt the same way. here is a game I found. I was surprised at where some of states were. I felt pretty dumb. see if you can follow the link.

http://www.addictinggames.com/50states.html

airtrent said...

Lisa you should add the application Travel IQ challenge on Facebook. It is a game that challenges you to point out on a may where different countries are. Lots of fun. BTW I love AMERICANS!!!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Tasha, very good game. I got 82.35 score, and my average miles off was 32. 464 seconds. I think I did pretty well.